My new play HA received an Honourable Mention in the Herman Voaden National Playwriting Competition. It’s a big deal competition, so it’s nice to be recognized. HA is a 21st century adaption of Shakespeare’s Hamlet.
Power Play is playing at the Interplay festival in Fort McMurray Alberta! The festival runs from August 4 to 7, 2011 and is being presented by Westwood Community High School. It’s being student directed, which I’m sure is an exciting experience for all involved. Check it out!
Summer’s here and it’s time for a break! But the rest of the year is filling up fast. This fall I’m in the workshop/production stage of two new middle school plays headed for publication in January 2012. Add to that I’ll be attending a number of conferences. It’s great to be busy.
- NCTAC Conference in Winston-Salem, NC
- STAM conference in Lake of the Ozarks, MO
- FATE conference in St. Petersberg, FL
SWIMMING WITH SINS is a short play collection that feature the seven deadly sins in some way.
- FIREBALL – (1m/1f) Gerry returns home from shopping to reveal a huge hole burned into his sweater. His explanation is that a fireball dropped out of the sky and hit him in the chest. Jennine knows better.
- MOTHER GOOSE AND THE COMA – (1f) Polly explains why she’s leaving her boyfriend, who’s currently in a coma.
- HOW DOES YOUR GARDEN GROW? – (2f) A garden comes between two neighbors.
- PANCAKE TUESDAY – (3m) The business has gone belly up. Foster, Lewis, and Ed end up on the roof of their office building preparing to jump. Will their constant arguing keep them alive or quicken the sidewalk splat?
- DOWN – (2m/1f) Geoffrey is headed to hell. He is accused of being a glutton, despite being an uber fit, no fat, vegetarian.
- SWIMMING WITH SINS – (2m/4f) Vices and Virtues get together for their annual camp swim meet. Envy decides she’s had enough of being a vice and wants to switch camps.
You can find this great collection over at Original Works Publishing by clicking here!
Very excited about what’s to come in the new year!
- My brand new play Somewhere Nowhere received its first production at Lakewood Ranch High School in December. Next up, another workshop in Missouri at the Missouri State Thespian Festival and then another production in February at St. Cloud High School in Florida. The play is a full length that can also be performed at four individual one acts. The play will be up and available through Theatrefolk come the spring. Can’t wait!
- Lots of Thespian Festivals coming up: Missouri, Florida Junior, Alabama, Florida State.
- Teaching playwriting at Ridley College in St. Catharines.
- Teaching playwriting workshops at the Texas Educational Theatre Association at the end of January.
- Adjudicating for the Sears Drama festival for the Upper Ottawa Region at the end of March.
Just found out I received an OAC grant! This is through the Artists in the Schools program. I go into six schools spend a week at each school and teaching the creating and developing of play ideas. Very excited! Now I just have to find the schools….
- My Adjudication course starts Wednesday! It’s going to be very intense and a great learning experience. There’s two plays in the festival that I quite like and two that I don’t like at all. How do you effectively and constructively adjudicate in either situation?
- Found out I will be teaching workshops at the International Thespians Festival in Lincoln NE this June. A full slate – two playwriting and one acting.
- I’ll also be teaching workshops at the CODE conference – the annual conference for the Council of Drama and Dance Educators. I’ve been trying a couple of years now to get accepted so I’m very pleased.
- And lastly Gander Collegiate won the Best Play Award with Emotional Baggage at their Regional Play Festival. Go Gander!